Safe Walking Routes
For the safety and well-being of everyone, please be mindful of these safety tips. The safe route map (below) shows the suggested safe walking routes for Butler Elementary students who walk to school. Arrows depicting walking routes are shown. Please note the following:
1. Students should use existing sidewalks whenever possible.
2. On streets without sidewalks, students should walk on the left side of the street facing oncoming traffic.
3. Our safe routes include two adult crossing guards located at the corner of Ft. Union Blvd. and 2700 East as well as another crossing guard at the corner of 7115 South and 2700 East. Generally, they are on duty one-half hour before and after school begins and again for one-half hour before and after school ends. This includes early-out days.
4. Make your way to a green route on the map below and select the best walking route to school from your home. You may become familiar with the route by walking the route with your child. Your child should follow this route daily. Please instruct your child to observe crosswalks and signs.
5. Children who ride bikes must ride on the right-hand side of the road and never in the middle! When possible, they should cross at intersections where there are adult crossing guards stationed, and they should always walk their bikes across the street. Please train them to be cautious on all streets and intersections where there is no adult supervision. All students are strongly encouraged to wear bike helmets when riding bikes.
6. All students should remember to go straight home from school. Do not talk to, take candy or gifts, or get into the cars of strangers. Any strange behavior should be reported to school staff and/or parents.
7. If you learn of any safety problems or route deficiencies, please report them to the school immediately at 801-826-7975. Thank you for your help with this important issue.