1. Christy welcomed everyone and briefly explained what SCC does. Next month we will view the DVD's which will explain in more detail.
2. We voted on a chairperson—Amy Nobis Lori Roper was chosen as the Vice Chair. There is a training for Christy and Amy on October 6th or the 12th, whichever works best for your schedule.
3. PTA gave an update. It appears they have made approximately $7000 on the fund raiser so far and look forward to making more as it continues through November. They have also ordered the t-shirts for the kids. They are black and cost the PTA $5 each.
4. The spring program was discussed. We talked about what the original purpose of it was. We agreed it was to have a community event and a fundraiser. It was ultimately decided that those goals could be met with a fun run and it would be nice to have a change. We voted and it was unanimous. We thought that at the fun run it would be good to have a thermometer that we filled in as donations came in. It would be nice to be able to visualize how close we were getting to our goal. We then discussed how much money we would like. The school would like to be able to fund 3 field trips per class so we think $9000 would be great. Next month Christy will come with an accounting as to how much money the school with SCC support has been able to raise. Christy will also find out if SCC or the school is allowed to solicit donations.
5. The question was asked about our moving the school to the Butler Middle School site. We explained that the district is not even discussing that at this point but they will be informed as soon as it will be.
6. Christy updated everyone on the DI teachers. All is going well this year.
7. Christy explained about the safety issues that have taken place this past week. New fences and gates are going up and the district has requested an additional aid. All agreed that what we are doing is more than adequate. Some believe it might be overkill but most think it is just right.
8. Those in attendance were:
Ann Marie Sulzen
Trish French was excused
School Community Council
The meeting was brought to order and an issue with the budget was discussed. The PTA is no longer allowed to pay for Field Trips. It was proposed by Sarah to have the PTA pay for Meet the Masters and the School Community Council pay for the fieldtrips. For this year the cost is about the same. Next year the Field trips will be more costly. As an SCC we will look into how best fund that. Other options will be examined. Wendy made a motion that we accept Sarah’s proposal, Sarah second it. Everyone agreed. The meeting was then adjourned.
SCC MEETING MINUTES
1. Welcom by Brian Kasteler
2. Minutes were read and approved
3. Christy gave a class update. We will indeed have a 2/3 split class with Sulzen teaching it. Only 2 6th grade classes. They will be large so we will try and get them some help.
4. Voting next year-- Christy will send home forms the end of May and ask they are returned by June 8th. Voting will take place at Back to School night.
5. Next meeting will be Sept. 13
6. Lisa will show boundary maps after the meeting.
7. Sarah updated us on Weatherbug. We may want to wait until we are rebuilt.
8. Fundraising-- Ann found old brochures. She also talked with us about the charms and we decided this needed to be discussed at the first meeting of the new year.
9. The district does not have a grant writer.
10. The meeting was adjourned before 8:00pm.
SCC MEETING MINUTES
- Welcome by Brian Kasteler
- Minutes of last meeting were approved and voted on.
- Classes for next year—
- Christy explained that next year there will need to be a 2nd/3rd grade split class
- Lisa and Brian mentioned that it is important clear communication takes place with parents. Christy agreed to tell parents as soon as things have been finalized.
- Spring Program—
- It was great! We made around $5300.
- We talked about how to make it more accessible. It was difficult because of how tight it was.
- Can we have more baskets? Can we somehow do it online? All ideas will be considered for next year.
- Fundraising Committee—
- Sarah Pearce will head it up.
- Brian and Kelly as well as others want to be on it.
- They want to do work this summer.
- Lisa D. discussed the boundary time line. She also said the middle school would like some of the 6th grade parents on next years SCC. Christy agreed to send out some emails/notes home.
- We decided Christy will send home a call for nominations later this school year and ask that they are returned by June 15. We will send out a copy of who is running for SCC with the registration materials. Voting will take place at Back to School night.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:00pm
SCC Meeting Minutes
- Minutes were read and approved
- FTE concerns: We are hoping to get more FTE but if we do not get a few more students we will lose ½ a teacher!
- Ririe/Woodbury residency is going strong and seems to be a hit.
- April 7 is the Program. Help is needed from Mike Chase again this year. Help is also needed in the following areas:
- Help putting stuff on back drop—Wendy will help
- Corralling kids
- It will be called An Evening of Music and Art
- The kids should not come before 6:00pm. There will be no one available before that time to watch them.
- The program starts at 6:30 at Butler Middle
- More Raffle prizes would be appreciated
- Fundraising committee. Sarah gave us this idea and we all loved it. We should come next month with names for it.
- Weather Bug- Sound like it could affect every class, which would be nice. We still need to find out how much to move it and find another school that has it and see how well they like/use it.
- PLTW—Teachers would do it. Janet Goble at the district would be the contact although no elementary is currently doing it. No idea about the cost.
- Engineering is elementary sounds like a fun idea.
10. ITEA is also an idea from Brent at the district
- 11. Junior Engineering was sold to Idaho. We could possibly do STAR Lab through Star House. It is a one-day program.
12. SMART—Kellee Chase will email Christy a link. The info Christy has says it is just to mentor new teachers.
13. LEGO—Trish said she would love to run it. The committee voted to fund whatever amount the grant did not cover, up to $840.
14. Literacy Night: Next year we will have this. Sarah had a sample of the rotations. We could get the Buehners if the committee would pay the $500. They approved it.
15. The committee voted on and approved $520 expense to pay for the Library After School Program.
16. Trish mentioned she would like to do Moon dance Festival next year during Sundance Festival. Kids would make their own movies on their own or with their family. We would have it sometime between Jan 19 – 29
17. Our next meeting will be April 12th at 7:00pm
18. The meeting was adjourned.
Those present: Brian Kasteler, Wendy Pearson, Kellee Chase, Amy Nobis, Val Leaonard, Satah Pearce, Trish French, Ali Duff, Debbie Tyler, Lisa Devashrayee, Anne Jacobs, Meg Sloan, Tobin Hawkins
- Brian welcomed everyone
- Rebecca motioned to accept the minutes from last month. Lani seconded it.
- STEM--Last year they were working on getting the U of U to bring a free program to the school that dealt with math. They said Edy nixed it. They don’t know why. Kelly is going to look into it. They believe it looked like a great program and was free. I asked for contact information. PLTW; Ann had a pamphlet about this program and will look into it a little bit more. It is Project Lead the Way. We need more information to see exactly what it entails.
- Annual Event—we are going to do some kind of race each year. Amy is over this and would appreciate it if we had something in particular that we were raising money for. The hardest part is getting it started but then we should be fine each year.
- Grants—There are several places we can look for grants. Utah state, NASA. It was mentioned that this really is a full time job so Christy will contact the district and Marilyn Williams for any help they can give.
- Community program will be April 7th at 6:30pm. Christy called and reserved the building with Butler Middle. Every classroom is putting together a basket that can be donated for a silent auction. The room mothers are being contacted to head this up. Kelly will send a flier home Friday.
- There is a city meeting at City Hall Thursday night at 6:30pm
- Meeting closed. Next meeting is March 22, 2011
The following were in attendance:
Christy Waddell, Anne Jacob, Lisa Devashrayee, Robin Hawkins, Sarah Pearce, Wendy Pearson, Kellee Chase, Rebekah Callahan, Lani Heldt, Brian Kasteler, Stephanie Kelly, Ann Marie Sulzen